Your phone number was rejected by Venmo, Twitter, a bank, or other third party service. Why?

No such cellular requirements exist. The refusal of VoIP numbers by some banks and others is entirely a policy decision on their part (no more no less).

This is the intermittent issue noted on Republic’s status page linked here: https://status.republicwireless.com/. It’s a VoIP issue in that it involves Republic’s upstream VoIP network partner but it not the same as the issue with VoIP numbers noted in this thread.

Oops, sorry not really sure what topic is really separate right now.

I’m going to assume that you work in a bank IT department to be secure in this information? Thanks for the info.

As far as topic.

Anything related to VoIP to me should be in one place. Especially, when there are people dealing with all of these issues, VoIP related.

Again, you’ve pointed out just another reason to go to Spectrum wireless for 1 line $14 a gig or 2 lines $45 for shared 3gig when contracts are up unless Republic wireless offers some super amazing cheaper upgrades for not doing early on or even now.

I was just telling someone not to give me homework for something they should be doing for me.

It’s also my understanding that banks require a cell phone number for faster contact with fraud.

This seems like an existing requirement.
:face_with_monocle:

I’m simply saying the following:

1. Vendors such as those mentioned in this thread who refuse VoIP numbers are making their own policy decision. They are entitled to their policy decision but is their policy decision not a requirement.
  2. The issue with your son being unable to reach you is entirely different from the topic covered in this thread.

Some banks choose to make this their requirement as a matter of policy. Other banks such as Wells Fargo are perfectly happy to accept VoIP numbers for these purposes. Even better many offer alternative (and much more secure methods) like token apps such as Authy or Google Authenticator.

Ok, I guess it sounds like we’re discussing Symantics.

Potato, potato?

Policy or requirements?

You made me laugh :rofl:

Thanks I needed that.

Topic is VoIP.
I’d prefer to one stop shop. Always :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Anything related to VoIP phone issues is the same.

I agree to Symantics.
:sunglasses:

I was setting up my Delta Airlines app on my phone and it asked for my cell number so I could message them. When I put my cell number in, it kept telling me that I needed to use a cell number and would not accept my number. Is this an issue that anyone has had with Delta or any other app or situation? If so, is there a work around?

1 Like

Hi @jim,

I moved your question into an existing topic on the matter so we can focus the conversation in a single place.

Please scroll up and read the top post, and then let us know if you have any questions. The only workaround would be asking Delta to change their policy or create an exemption to their policy for your number, but the odds of them actually doing so are very slim.

1 Like

thank you!

1 Like

Called Venmo. No workaround. Online I saw someone say they used to allow VOIP numbers until they got hit by a VoIP scam network. Any way we can a make republic-specific VoIP database and share that with them? Then they have their safety, and more clients. Also, we republic users like republic more, too :slight_smile:

An interesting thought but probably not feasible in that it would be something constantly changing. Venmo and others refusing VoIP numbers simply look up a number’s carrier in already existing databases. Republic like other providers of its relatively small size is not a carrier in its own right as defined by the industry. Carriers (think AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.) own telephone networks. Republic numbers are hosted on Bandwidth.com’s VoIP network. In other words, Venmo looks up the number, sees Bandwidth, then rejects it for being VoIP. Bandwidth is a VoIP carrier.

Ironically, there is a way Republic members could reassure Venmo of their number’s legitimacy. It would be easy enough to download one’s Republic invoice, then share that with Venmo. I made that proposal to Venmo some time ago. Venmo was not interested.

2 Likes

Expecting another company to adapt to our unique VoIP phone number situation is a wish, hope, (insert whatever useless word you want here).

In the immortal words of Nike. “Just do it”

With 4g almost everywhere I go now, finally :smirk:
It’s clear that WiFi handover is not as needed as it was 5-10 years ago.

Change is inevitable. Learning to adapt quickly has been and always will be the key to any future, especially for mankind.

Let’s just wish/hope :joy: republic wireless figures it out before the loyalty wains.

How’s that old saying go?
Wish/hope in one hand, {redacted} in the other. :face_with_monocle:

I’ve got 164 days and counting down left.
:no_mouth:

Realistically, it’s not going to be Republic Wireless as an independent entity that makes the decision. Whatever Republic’s future holds, it will be decided by Republic’s new owner, DISH Wireless, LLC: A Letter from Our CEO: Republic Wireless Joins DISH!.

As for what the future holds for a DISH owned Republic, well, wait and see.

3 Likes

I’m aware that since RW operates as a MVNO that use to be a problem. I was thinking that was resolved a couple of years ago. I was trying to transfer NC State basketball tickets to my phone & can’t do it as it does not see my RW phone as a “cellular” phone.

How do I fix that?

Hi @Mike1313,

I’m afraid the candid answer is there isn’t a fix. It’s not that Republic is an MVNO (which it is), it’s that some enterprises refuse Republic numbers for being Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). With that said, I’m going to move your post to an already existing topic on the matter. You may wish to read through it starting here: Your phone number was rejected by Venmo, Twitter, a bank, or other third party service. Why?.

Does NC State offer another means of retrieving electronic tickets?

For what it’s worth, it looks like there are ways to transfer tickets without using text messaging and, therefore, bypassing use of a phone number:

1 Like

Does this become a moot point with the planned changes in Republic and the carriers it will use in the future? Will Republic continue to use Bandwidths VOIP net?

The inability to co-exist with 2 factor authentication methods that are now becoming ubiquitous is obviously a big problem.

1 Like

From the FAQ section at:

1. Republic Wireless numbers are classified as VoIP (landline, wireline) numbers. Some services refuse to send text messages to Republic Wireless numbers. Will this problem be solved?
    (Common examples: Venmo verification, pharmacy notifications, banking alerts).
    Numbers on the new plans will not be classified as VoIP numbers. They will be cellular (wireless) numbers and will be able to receive these types of text messages.
2 Likes

only for those who choose to move to the new plans… if new plan means AT&T coverage…then might not be a good fit for all… anyone staying on My Choice…this will continue to be an issue.

1 Like

I’m hoping T-Mobile will be an option with the new plans. AT&T only may keep me on My Choice even if I see a new plan I like.

1 Like

I hope so too… guess we will find out soon enough.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Get ready for an improved Republic Wireless